Monday, March 28, 2011

The Beginning

Becoming a mother for the first time was a transformative experience.  Carrying a life for 40 weeks and then giving birth was the most gratifying and amazing moment of my life.  I was a mom!?  Unbelievable.  Surreal. 

And not only did my body give this little boy life, it could also sustain his life with my own milk.  Absolutely amazing.  Our breastfeeding experience was not without challenges, however our family traveled a pretty smooth road thanks to the supportive and resource-rich environment of Santa Monica, California where my son was born. 

We were fortunate to start our journey with our doula, Heike, who was present at his birth and helped make sure we got our first chance to breastfeed in the delivery room shortly after he entered the world.  Plus, her gentle wisdom and guidance during those crucial first few days and weeks at home gave me the confidence that I could do this.  In addition, the breastfeeding support groups I attended connected me with other moms and showed me that I wasn't the only one who was wondering: "Am I doing this right?"

Before having my son, I had never really been around women that breastfed and didn't know much more than what I had learned in my childbirth classes and a few suggested books on the subject.  Yet, I knew my own milk was the best for my baby and I was determined he would only get breastmilk.  As our breastfeeding relationship developed, the more in awe I was of this amazing gift only I could give my son.  For me, breastfeeding helped  me create a beautiful bond with my son that I can already tell will last his lifetime.

This is the nurturing, loving, bond I want to help other moms experience with their children.

4 comments:

  1. such a great posting! Thank you for promoting and TALKING about breastfeeding...something not done enough in our culture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Welcome to the blogosphere, Ann-Marie! I'll be following along with you, and sure to glean some awesome mom tips from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann-Marie, thanks for posting! I will continue to follow. Great to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann-Marie, so glad to find your blog. Please keep it going after the exam that we are all going to pass! Staying connected is the chili in the salsa...(:

    ReplyDelete